Matachica Belize Reviews
AMAZING PLACE!!! We stayed at Matachica from July 30th thru August 12th and had such a wonderful time! It truly is a great place to relax, and it is so intimate that everyone there will know you by name. The staff is outstanding in every way and they make you feel like you are part of the family. Chef Reynaldo takes great pride in his dishes and it shows! The food was SUPERB!! We were there so long we tried everything on the menu, literally! One tip, is that the dinner portions are large, so we actually would get an appetizer and share sometimes. Food and drinks are a little pricey, but I guarantee you that it is worth it. (If you get a chance, buy some One Barrel Rum in town...you can drink that stuff in shot form and it is smooth as butter)
Jose the bartender is a great guy, looks like a handsome belizian Terrance Howard and makes the best pina coladas I have ever had. You will love the fun relationship that the staff has with each other for sure~ Isadora, Naella, Andrea, Israel, Dennis, Ishmael, Maya, Anita, Chris, Charlie and Reymundo.some of THE sweetest people you will ever meet!!! We stayed in Peach which is one of the deluxe beach front casitas for 3 nights, and then we moved back to Cherry which is a reef view suite for the remainder of our stay. (A deluxe casita was not available the entire time we were there, so we chose a reef view which was just as enjoyable) The only difference is that the deluxe casitas have a glass window/door pane which does help to keep the air conditioning in if you choose to run it. The reef views did not have the glass panes, so the air was not quite as cool but we survived;) The pool is gorgeous and the views are breathtaking~ there are always towels out at the pool and the main building is close to all the casitas, so you can just pop in for lunch or a drink (they also will come to the pool as well to ask if you would like drinks).
Here is the skinny in list form. I figure it will be better to get to the point ;)
1. Go on a day excursion with Genie from Coraldiversbelize.com. He is SO FUN and will make your trip a memorable one. We went snorkeling at shark ray alley, fished, (we caught barracuda!) and he cooked our fresh fish on the beach at the end of the day. Barracuda is tasty by the way, AND... this man CAN COOK!!!
2. Visit the Lamanai Ruins. Matachica can schedule this trip for you (or any trip/adventure you'd like to do for that matter) They booked us through Seaduced and it was probably the coolest thing I've ever done. It is a long day, but it is worth it, "belize me!"
3. Visit Fido's Bar on the beach in San Pedro at the end of the dock where Matachica's boat runs. Great outdoor bar with a cool house band and awesome bartenders. Just south of Fido's close to the SpinDrift Hotel on the beach is a lady and her husband (Shirley and James) that have beautiful wood carvings. Their little "saleslady" is a Coatimundi named Kiera and she is a doll. She stays on her leash but can take a picture with you if you want. I think everything we brought back with us was bought from these sweet people.
4. The best way to and from anywhere is to use the red coastal express water taxis. It took me a time or two to get used to that kind of transportation, but it is by far the best way to get to and from San Pedro to Matachica. Note that the Matachica boat does go back and forth to San Pedro a couple times a day and it is free to ride with them, so let that be your first choice if the schedule works for you. If you are in San Pedro late, then you will definitely need to take the coastal express water taxi. It is $10 a piece to ride, but again, worth it if you are unable to ride the Matachica boat.
5. Visit Caye Caulker for the day. Go explore that island, it is so relaxing! Have drinks and a $5 lobster burrito from the Lazy Lizard and sunbathe at the Split. You will need to take a Water Taxi to Caye Caulker which is different from the Coastal Express. Just ask the girls at Matachica's front desk and they will hook you up with all info you need.
6. Walk 10 min North from Matachica along the beach to Portofino resort. They have a great bartender named Orville who is a lot of fun and happens to be Genie's cousin. (Genie was our guide to shark ray alley that was the awesome cook!) Portofino restaurant is also good if you are in the mood for a change from Matachica's food. They are super cool there and you can come down and lay at their pool if you wish. The entire island is so friendly and all the locals seem to know each other or are related ;)
7. Go to San Pedro on Wednesday night to the SpinDrift Hotel for the Chicken Drop!!! Basically it is chicken poop bingo...seriously! You bet on a number and if the chicken poops on that number, you win! We won like $50 on number 82.the only catch is if you win, you have to wipe up the poop with a kleenex LOL!
8. At Matachica, Kayak out to the reef and snorkel, ride bikes along the shore, and explore!!! They will provide you with everything you need!!!
9. Burga Pattinson at Matachica is the sweet lady who set us up with our reservations. (She is also the wedding planner!) She is not at the Matachica location every day, but we did have the chance to meet her. A wonderful sweet, German woman whose smile lights up everything around her. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, they go out of there way to accomodate you and when you get service with a smile, that says something. Lots of smiles around that place!
I hope this was helpful to you, please feel free to e-mail me with any questions @ firstname.lastname@example.org.